View Cogs watch in a larger map

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Back to School

Some might call it madness, I know I have each morning this week while climbing out of bed at 7am to get ready for Spanish class. That's right, I've made the voluntary decision to go back to school, homework and all.

Having done a fair bit of travel in foreign countries one thing I find really frustrating is not being able to speak the local language. What is equally, if not more frustrating, is only knowing how to say: 'Do you speak English?' I feel presumptuous and rude. But in most cases, it can't be helped. You can't be expected to speak the language of every country you visit (especially in Europe), sometimes you just have to do your best. The good news for me is that, taking time out in Sucre has also posed as a good opportunity for Spanish lessons to alleviate my frustration. Considering I'm spending six months on a Spanish-speaking continent, I think it's a good idea.

Sucre is one of Bolivia's two capital cities and is the country's judicial centre (don't ask me why there are two). La Paz is Bolivia's administrative hub and home to its President. As it happens, Sucre is also our favourite Bolivian city. It's somewhat more laid back than the country's other big cities and is really beautiful (think big white colonial buildings and leafy green plazas). It is also swimming with Spanish schools and, as a result, 'gringos', or foreigners.

So this week, Bec and I jumped on the Spanish school bandwagon and we'll be on it for the next month, having signed up with the Academia Latinoamericana de Espanol and booked into the popular La Dolce Vita Hostel longterm. And the week one report? So far so good, the first coo being that, for whatever reason, I've been allocated my own tutor (having paid for group classes), so the intensive course I signed up for is just that. It's been fairly reminiscent of my highschool French days - learning lists of verbs and vocab - with a few extra 'practical activities' thrown in. For example, we took a trip to the local market to buy typical Bolivian fruit and also enjoyed a saltena at 'El Patio', the best saltena spot in town, the whole time speaking in Spanish of course.

I can't say I'm used to the homework sheets yet, but I am very much enjoying the stimulation after a few months of wandering - I think my brain is too. So bring on week two!


Our Spanish School - who wouldn't want to come here each day?

No comments: