View Cogs watch in a larger map

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A spike in the journey: my Bolivian hospital stay

I try to embrace the good and the bad when traveling, you come to expect it. This philosophy was certainly put to the test in La Paz. I was unlucky enough to have my drink spiked on Boxing Day resulting in my being whisked off to hospital and placed on a drip and pumped with diuretics for the night and the whole of the following day. It was pretty frightening, particularly as none of the staff spoke English - thank goodness my doctor was the only one who did! The up side was that my wonderful friends stayed by my side and once we knew I’d be ok we were all able to laugh at the retro muumuu they’d put me in. It was an experience to say the least, perhaps not the most fashionable!


3 comments:

Jules said...

You really have an uncanny ability to attract drink spikers god love ya! xxx

Doggy said...

Hi Claire. I've got to admit, using spiking as an excuse for a hangover is a pretty good one. Might try that one myself. Just Jokes! hope you're OK! Great blog!! Keep it up and enjoy. Lots of Luv Cuzin Andyxoxoxo

Belly said...

Sure it wasn't the Christmas spam??